Monday, January 17, 2011

Meeting History

As we get older, the finite quality of our existence begins to weigh on our minds more so than before. In my own mind, I am very much aware that my life will someday come to an end, but I do not dwell on it. I suppose I am shutting out the brutal truth of the reality by considering my demise to occur at some time in the distant future. A couple of years ago, I decided it was important to make a list of things I would like to do before I am no more on the Earth.

In my youth, I was an avid follower of the space program. I knew all the astronauts' names, the missions they flew, and such. They were heroes to most adolescent boys in America, and I was no exception. I suppose I admired, (and still do) the sheer, unadulterated bravery displayed by anyone who would climb atop thousands of pounds of flammable rocket fuel and allow someone to ignite it.

The ultimate adventure in my opinion, then and now, was to go to the moon. It obviously followed that one of my goals would be to meet someone who had walked on the moon. When I set this goal, I did not think it likely attainable. The moon walkers have settled into regular society, and are not particularly deified at this point in time, and it was unlikely that one of them would have West Tennessee on his itinerary.

I placed this “bucket list” item on the back burner until I saw in the local newspaper that on June 4, 2000, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, was scheduled to appear in Jackson at a book signing at Davis-Kidd bookstore. I immediately bought two of his books called "The Return", and eagerly awaited his visit. I have to admit that even though I am fifty-three years old, I was like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Nancy went with me, not so much because she wanted to meet Aldrin, but to share the experience with me. She knew it was a big thing to me and wanted to be there.

We were early in line, and it took only about ten to fifteen minutes to get to him. So many people who sign autographs have rather large egos to go with their fame, and will not even make eye contact with the "ordinary person". Not so with Buzz Aldrin. He took the book from his assistant and signed it. Then he looked up at me, said, "Thank you for coming" and extended his hand. I said, "It's an honor to meet you sir. Thank you." He did the same for everyone else in line. He is apparently a class act, and understands how "ordinary people" feel about meeting someone like him.

So, all you descendants out there, your great-great-whatever-granddad met and shook hands with a man who walked on the moon. I don't know what your world will be like and how hard you will be to impress, but I thought it was great.

June 8, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment